Hello. My name is John Kingham and I’m the editor here at UK Value Investor.
My professional background is in insurance software and until 2011 investing was a hobby (albeit a very important one). One part of that hobby was running the UK Value Investor blog, which I started in 2007.
Eventually I began publishing a paid monthly e-newsletter with the same name, and that has occupied me full-time since 2011.
As well as writing the blog and monthly newsletter, I also write the regular Dividend Hunter column for Master Investor magazine.
In 2016 my book, The Defensive Value Investor, was published in e-book and paperback formats by Harriman House.
Harriman House then asked me to contributed a chapter to the 2017 edition of Harriman’s New Book of Investing Rules: The Do’s and Don’ts of the World’s Best Investors.
About the UK Value Investor newsletter
The investment newsletter and its supporting website exist to provide investors with tools and information to help them build high yield, low risk portfolios.
One of its main features is the model portfolio. This portfolio is managed according to my defensive value investing strategy and subscribers get to see every detail of the portfolio, its current holdings and what I’m buying or selling each month.
In short, all of my investment research and tools are available for subscribers to use as they wish.
Why investors subscribe to UK Value Investor
- It’s factual. Research is based on facts as much as possible and speculation is kept to a minimum.
- It’s educational. Jargon is kept to a minimum all buy and sell decisions are explained as fully and as clearly as possible.
- It follows a sensible, hype-free approach. UK Value Investor’s tone is calm, free of hyperbole and focused on quality companies and long-term results.
- It has a good track record. The model portfolio has beaten the FTSE All-Share since inception in 2011, with a higher yield, higher growth and less risk (although of course future results are not guaranteed).
Values, beliefs, standards
The overriding goal is to show subscribers how to build a high-yield, low-risk, long-term portfolio by applying a defensive value strategy. This takes priority over everything else and the newsletter’s core principles are encapsulated in the following list:
- Be professional. Put subscribers’ long-term interests first.
- Be transparent. Make public the model portfolio’s performance results as well as the final results of every individual investment.
- Focus on improvement. Work hard to learn from every investment, whether good or bad. Learning should never stop because no investment strategy is perfect.
- Be committed to achieving good results
- Have a long-term outlook
- Be able to cope with market declines without panicking at the first sign of trouble
- Accept that the future is an uncertain place and be willing to invest despite that uncertainty
- Ask questions if they’re unsure of anything, even if it seems like a daft question
- Give honest and detailed feedback on what they do or don’t find valuable in their subscription