UK Value Investor originally began as an investment blog in 2008. The blog became quite popular and so in 2011 it morphed into a monthly investment newsletter for defensive and dividend-focused value investors.
About the editor
Hello. My name is John Kingham and I’m the founder and editor of UK Value Investor.
Before becoming an investment newsletter publisher in 2011, my professional background was in analysing and developing insurance software. Software is a world of structured logic and that background proved to be very useful as I became more and more interested in investing during the late 1990s and early 2000s. Today, my strategy of “defensive value” investing leans heavily on those twin ideas of logic and structure.
After five years of developing this defensive value strategy, my first book, The Defensive Value Investor, was published by Harriman House in 2016.
In terms of investment qualifications, I hold the Investment Management Certificate from the Chartered Financial Analysts’ Society of the UK. I am also a member of the CFA UK Value Investing Special Interest Group.
As well as editing UK Value Investor I also write for other publications, most notably the regular Dividend Hunter column for Master Investor Magazine.
About the newsletter
UK Value Investor is a monthly investment newsletter for defensive and dividend-focused value investors.
It’s mission is to provide investors with tools and information to help them build high quality, high yield portfolios.
The main focus of each monthly issue the UKVI model portfolio. This portfolio is managed according to the defensive value investing strategy and subscribers get to see every detail of the portfolio and how it’s managed.
Subscribers also have access to a unique stock screen which makes up the first stage of each buy or sell decision, as well as the worksheets and spreadsheets which are used to analyse companies. In short, every part of the investment process is completely transparent.
From its inception in 2011, the model portfolio has achieved each of its core goals, which are to have a higher yield, higher total return and lower risk than the FTSE All-Share.
Why investors subscribe to UK Value Investor
- Factual. Investment research is based on facts as much as possible and speculation is kept to a minimum.
- Sensible, hype-free approach. The style is calm, evidence-based and focused on quality companies and long-term results.
- Good track record. The model portfolio has beaten the FTSE All-Share since its inception in 2011, with a higher dividend yield, higher dividend and capital growth and less risk (although future results are not guaranteed).
Values, beliefs, standards
The one overriding goal is to show investors how they can build high yield, high growth, low risk portfolios by applying defensive value investing principles. This takes priority over everything else and the newsletter’s core principles are encapsulated in the following list:
- Be professional. Put subscribers’ long-term interests first.
- Eat your own cooking. Almost 100% of the editor’s long-term investments are held in exactly the same companies as model portfolio.
- Be transparent. Make public the model portfolio’s performance results as well as the final results of every individual investment.
- Focus on improvement. Work hard to learn from every investment, whether good or bad. Learning should never stop because nobody is perfect, not even Warren Buffett.
UK Value Investor subscribers should:
- Be committed to achieving good results
- Have a long-term outlook
- Be able to cope with market declines without panicking at the first sign of trouble
- Accept that the future is an uncertain place and be willing to invest despite that uncertainty
- Ask questions if they’re unsure of anything, even if it seems like a daft question
- Give honest and detailed feedback on what they do or don’t find valuable in their subscription
Take the next step
If you want to learn more about defensive value investing, you should subscribe to the blog and download these free resources.