This website is brought to you by John Kingham, a Kent-based investor, author and investment newsletter publisher.
The site originally began as an investment blog in 2008. At the time investment blogs were very thin on the ground, so I decided to start writing about investing in order to discuss my ideas about value investing with other UK-based investors.
The blog became quite popular and so in 2011 I began publishing a monthly investment newsletter for defensive and dividend-focused value investors.
In 2016 my first book, The Defensive Value Investor, was published by Harriman House. The book covers virtually every aspect of my investment approach in some detail, and somehow it took me almost two years to write.
I started investing seriously in the UK stock market in 1995. I have tried every investment style going, from passive index tracking to day trading and everything in between. However, in 2005 I began to move over to value investing and have enjoyed and profited from that style ever since.
My professional background is in software analysis, which is a world of structured logic. Over the years I have developed a defensive value investment strategy which leans heavily on those twin ideas of logic and structure.
I developed the strategy primarily for my own use although I now also use it as the basis for the UK Value Investor newsletter.
I hold the Investment Management Certificate from the Chartered Financial Analysts’ Society of the UK. I am also a member of the CFA UK Value Investing Special Interest Group.
I am sometimes asked to write for other websites or publications, including:
- Master Investor Magazine (I write the regular Dividend Hunter column)
- Square Mile Magazine (op-ed articles)
- BullBearings (semi-regular articles)
The UK Value Investor newsletter
UK Value Investor is the monthly investment newsletter which I publish for defensive and income-focused value investors.
I launched it in 2011 to provide sensible investors with a practical and educational investment newsletter.
The main focus of each monthly issue a model portfolio which started out with £50,000 virtual pounds in March 2011. The portfolio is managed according to a systematic defensive value investing strategy and subscribers get to see every detail of every investment decision.
Subscribers also have access to a unique stock screen which makes up the first stage of each buy or sell decision, as well as the worksheets and spreadsheets which are used to analyse companies. In short, every part of the investment process is completely transparent.
From its inception in 2011, the model portfolio has achieved each of its core goals, which are to have a higher yield, higher total return and lower risk than the FTSE All-Share.
Why investors subscribe to UK Value Investor
- Factual. Investment research is based on facts as much as possible and speculation is kept to a minimum.
- Sensible, hype-free approach. The style is calm, evidence-based and focused on quality companies and long-term results.
- Good track record. The model portfolio has beaten the FTSE All-Share since its inception in 2011, with a higher dividend yield, higher dividend and capital growth and less risk (although future results are not guaranteed).
Values, beliefs, standards
My one overriding goal is to show investors how they can build high yield, high growth, low risk portfolios by applying defensive value investing principles. This takes priority over everything else and my general approach is encapsulated in the following list:
- Be professional. Put subscribers’ long-term interests first and trusting that that will lead to long-term business success.
- Eat your own cooking. Almost 100% of my family’s long-term investments are held in exactly the same companies as model portfolio.
- Be transparent. Make public the model portfolio’s performance results as well as the results of every single individual investment.
- Focus on improvement. Work hard to learn from every investment, whether good or bad. Learning should never stop because nobody is perfect, not even Warren Buffett.
UK Value Investor subscribers should:
- Be committed to achieving good results
- Have a long-term outlook
- Be able to cope with market declines without panicking at the first sign of trouble
- Accept that the future is an uncertain place and be willing to invest despite that uncertainty
- Ask questions if they’re unsure of anything, even if it seems like a daft question
- Give honest and detailed feedback on what they do or don’t find valuable in their subscription
Take the next step
If you want to learn more about defensive value investing, you should subscribe to the blog and download these free resources.